Senior P&I Executive (UK)
We are currently looking for self-motivated professionals to join our P&I team at our head office in Newcastle upon Tyne. You should have relevant skills, be it in a previous shipping claims or legal role as well as a commitment to building a career within shipping at North.
Each of our senior claims professionals are involved in a wide variety of areas of P&I insurance cover, including:
- Working independently on claims and achieving the best possible result for the Member and the Club, with the full support of a highly-experienced team.
- Building and maintaining working relationships with Members.
- From time to time, travelling to meet with Members and third parties involved in claims.
- A varied and challenging workload with ongoing opportunities to learn and grow.
- Working alongside colleagues with the FD&D, Underwriting and Loss Prevention teams to maintain provision of an excellent standard of service to our Members.
Our senior claims professionals will be expected to manage a large number of cases once they are fully trained, but the time required for each claim will vary depending on the specifics. The global nature of our work means that they will also have the opportunity to travel on case or Member visits.
Overall, candidates must have a commitment to the role and a willingness to learn. All new starters undergo an extensive initial induction and training program to give them the support they need to perform the role, however we feel it is important that all candidates understand the nature of the role and challenges involved.
The Protection & Indemnity Team
Our P&I insurance provides cover to our Members for any third-party liabilities they may encounter in the commercial operation of their vessels including issues around collisions, cargo loss, wreck removal and pollution. Our claims professionals are involved in the provision of expert advice and guidance to our Members on all aspects of their P&I cover.
Here at North we have a P&I team of over 75 individuals many from insurance, shipping or legal backgrounds handling queries and claims on a daily basis. Shipping is a global industry and world events can often have a direct effect on our Members, which could be anything from tsunamis to issues with piracy, as a consequence the claims we handle are often complex and challenging.
With a head office in Newcastle upon Tyne we also have regional offices in Greece, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Japan and Singapore to allow us to provide the best possible service to our international membership.
Shipping by its very nature is a non-stop, year-round global industry and, at times, our claims professionals will be required to work out of office hours, at weekends and on public holidays. In addition, they can often come under a lot of pressure to provide advice within very short time frames and we constantly have to provide excellent service, which requires proactive and diligent claims management.
A number of our people have joined us from outside of the region including Executives, Senior Executives and even Directors. Depending on your area of expertise there are a number of routes for progression and North invests heavily in development and training opportunities to help each individual fulfil their potential including:
- Access to the industry recognised IG Qualification and mentors to support you along the way.
- Structured P&I department with roles ranging from Trainee all the way to Group Director.
- Investment in on-going training opportunities for the all the team including in-house talks from industry experts, hands-on training course and an excellent induction program.
- An excellent remuneration package is offered, including competitive salary, pension and other attractive benefits.
For more information about working for North please read our Recruitment Pack.
For more information on the role and our P&I department, read our P&I Recruitment Pack.