Claims Executive (Japan)
We are currently looking for self-motivated professionals to join our P&I team at our office in Tokyo, Japan. You should have relevant skills, be it in a previous shipping role, claims environment or legal qualification as a well as a commitment to building a career within shipping at North. Whatever your level of experience we may have a role for you.
Each of our claims professionals are involved in a wide variety of areas of P&I insurance cover, including:
- Working independently on claims and achieving the best possible result for the Member and the Club, with the full support of a highly-experienced team.
- Building and maintaining working relationships with Members.
- From time to time, travelling to meet with Members and third parties involved in claims.
- A varied and challenging workload with ongoing opportunities to learn and grow.
- Working alongside colleagues with the FD&D, Underwriting and Loss Prevention teams to maintain provision of an excellent standard of service to our Members.
Our claims professionals will be expected to manage a large number of cases once they are fully trained, but the time required for each claim will vary depending on the specifics. Japanese and English languages skills are preferred for the role too.
Overall, candidates must have a commitment to the role and a willingness to learn. For those who are new to the shipping industry or a P&I Club environment there is a steep learning curve as they get to grips not only with the way we work, but with the terminology and technical side of shipping itself. All new starters undergo an initial induction and training program to give them the support they need to perform the role, however we feel it is important that all candidates understand the nature of the role and challenges involved.
The Protection & Indemnity Team
Our P&I insurance provides cover to our Members for any third-party liabilities they may encounter in the commercial operation of their vessels including issues around collisions, cargo loss, wreck removal and pollution. Our claims professionals are involved in the provision of expert advice and guidance to our Members on all aspects of their P&I cover. Here at North we have a P&I team of around 75 individuals across the Company many from insurance, shipping or legal backgrounds handling queries and claims on a daily basis. Shipping is a global industry and world events can often have a direct effect on our Members, which could be anything from tsunamis to issues with piracy, as a consequence the claims we handle are often complex and challenging.
Along with our Japan office, we also have a head office in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK and regional offices in Greece, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore to allow us to provide the best possible service to our international membership.
Shipping by its very nature is a non-stop, year-round global industry and, at times, our claims professionals will be required to work out of office hours, at weekends and on public holidays. In addition, they can often come under a lot of pressure to provide advice within very short time frames and we constantly have to provide excellent service, which requires proactive and diligent claims management.
Depending on your area of expertise there are a number of routes for progression and North invests heavily in development and training opportunities to help each individual fulfil their potential including:
- Access to the industry recognised IG Qualification and mentors to support you along the way.
- Structured P&I department with roles ranging from Trainee all the way to Group Director.
- Investment in on-going training opportunities for the all the team.
An excellent remuneration package is offered, including competitive salary, pension and other attractive benefits.
For more information about working for North please read our Recruitment Pack.